The primary role of this position is to be responsible for pre and post-sales support of customer data center infrastructure projects. The Senior System Engineer provides expertise in the areas of design, configuration, installation, upgrades, troubleshooting, and documentation for the administration of all supported software and hardware.
- Provide technical support to assist in the sale, design, configuration, installation, and support of company products.
- Conduct and/or participate in demonstrations, customer evaluations, and ROI analyses. Deliver technical presentations and respond to technical questions during sales calls. Provide technical content for bids and sales proposals.
- Provide direct sales support in the areas of customer environment information gathering, requirements collection, performance evaluation, and complex configuration planning.
- Develop, design, and recommend technology infrastructure solutions including Storage Area Network configurations, fibre channel/Ethernet fabrics, data center network design, server virtualization, data protection, and other hardware and software products.
- Stay current on, and maintain an in-depth knowledge of operating systems, hardware systems, peripheral products, conversion techniques, and performance methods of all company offerings.
- Install technology infrastructure solutions at customer sites.
- Train customers on the use of hardware and software.
- Establish and cultivate ongoing business relationships with customers to facilitate additional business.
- Document prospect and customer contact activity and customer configuration information in Salesforce.com.
- Document personal activity with status and time reporting.
- Mentor and coach engineering team members.
- Advise and train account executives on company supported technology.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree (Computer Science or Information Technology) from four-year college or university; or one to two years’ related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ten or more years professional technology infrastructure experience, including five or more years selling, maintaining, or installing enterprise infrastructure hardware and software systems.
- Five or more years of enterprise storage systems experience (SAN, NAS, Hierarchical storage systems, RAID, Fibre Channel, and iSCSI).
- Four or more years of experience with server virtualization (VMware required; Hyper V, and XenServer preferred in addition).
- Four or more years of experience with data center network implementation/management.
- Three or more years of experience with data protection, and replication technology experience, including backup/restore technologies.
- Extensive experience installing, managing, and administering at least two server Operating Systems (Windows Server, Linux, etc.), including latest versions.
- Dell EMC Solutions (e.g. VxRail, SC Storage, Server, etc.) experience required.
- VMware vSphere and vSAN experience required (vRealize experience preferred).
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Industry certifications: EMCIE, VCP (VxRail IE and VCP required).
- VMware desktop virtualization experience a plus.
- Microsoft applications (Exchange, SharePoint, SQL Server) experience a plus.
- Requires a minimum of 50% travel for product installations, training, and meetings.