The primary role of this position is to be responsible for administering Microsoft datacenter, server, and cloud products at customer sites. The System Engineer provides expertise in the areas of installation, upgrades, troubleshooting, and documentation for the administration of all supported solutions.
- Provide technical support to assist in the sale, installation and support of company products.
- Conduct and/or participate in demonstrations, customer evaluations and ROI analyses. Deliver technical presentations and respond to technical questions during sales calls. Provide technical content for bids and sales proposals.
- Provide direct sales support in the areas of operating systems, performance conversion and complex configuration planning.
- Develop, design and recommend solutions including Microsoft Active Directory and Azure active directory hybrid, Microsoft Exchange 2007/2010/2013/2016/2019/Exchange Online with a strong understanding of migration methodologies between these platforms and hybrid coexistence, Microsoft SQL Server, Office365 (and all Office365 components), and related hardware and software products.
- Maintain an in-depth knowledge of operating systems, hardware systems, peripheral products, conversion techniques, and performance methods of all company offerings.
- Install products and connect servers at customer’s site as required.
- Train customers on the use of hardware and software.
- Establish and cultivate ongoing business relationships with customers to facilitate additional business.
- Document prospect and customer contact activity and customer configuration information in Salesforce.com.
- Document personal activity with status and time reporting.
- Working level knowledge of virtualization environments is a plus (VMware, Hyper V, and XenServer)
Skills and Core Competencies
- Analytical – Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data.
- Problem Solving – Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in-group problem solving situations.
- Technical Skills – Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
- Oral Communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills.
- Team Work – Balances team and individual responsibilities; Puts success of team above own interests; Supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
- Written Communication – Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Presents numerical data effectively.
- Business Acumen – Understands business implications of decisions; Displays orientation to profitability; Demonstrates knowledge of market and competition.
- Cost Consciousness – Contributes to profits and revenue; Conserves organizational resources.
- Ethics – Treats people with respect; Inspires the trust of others; Works ethically and with integrity.
- Dependability – Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Initiative – Takes independent actions and calculated risks; Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; Asks for and offers help when needed.
- Planning/Organizing – Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives.
- Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Applies feedback to improve performance.
- Quantity – Meets productivity standards.
- Safety and Security – Observes safety and security procedures.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree (Computer Science or Information Technology) from four-year college or university; or three to five years’ related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Seven or more years professional experience, including four or more years experience selling, maintaining or installing client/server hardware and software systems and five or more years of experience with Microsoft products and environments.
- Experience working with Microsoft Active Directory and Azure active directory hybrid; exceptional knowledge of Microsoft Exchange 2007/2010/2013/2016/2019/Exchange Online with a strong understanding of migration methodologies between these platforms and hybrid coexistence.
- Exceptional knowledge of Microsoft SQL Server administration and migration, particularly MS/SQL, SSIS and SSRS migration
- Required knowledge of Microsoft Fileservers, DFS replication, sharing, and migration methodologies for Fileservers. Strong administrative understanding of Group Policy and Policy modification. Strong administrative understanding of Print Servers and Print Server migration.
- Exceptional knowledge of Office365 (and all Office365 components) – stand-alone and hybrid configuration, with understanding of migration practices both from Exchange and non-exchange (imap) systems
- Required knowledge of Skype for business and SharePoint.
- Strong understanding of Azure services, configuration, implementation, and migration. Strong understanding of Microsoft SCCM. Strong understanding of workstations and provisioning in the domain model.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Familiarity with most if not all Microsoft server platforms and technologies.
- Experience in consulting or a history handling multiple different customer scenarios.
- MCP / MCSA / MCSE certifications a preferred, but not required.
Requires a minimum of 50% travel for product installations, training, and meetings.